SPORT

16

Chelsea travel to face Stoke City at the bet365 Stadium on Saturday afternoonAntonio Conte has spoken about the pending departure of Diego Costa Costa has travelled to Madrid ahead of completing his Atletico medicalConte has wished Costa all the best for the future ahead of his £55m departureBy

Riath Al-Samarrai for MailOnlinePublished:
08:41 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
10:33 EDT, 22 September 2017
:Let’s block ads! (Why?) …read more

10

Roy Hodgson tips Mamadou Sakho to shore up his side’s defensive effortEagles could set record for longest start to a season without a goal at Man CityHodgson also said Wilfried Zaha on track to be fit to face Chelsea on October 14By

Press AssociationPublished:
10:07 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
10:24 EDT, 22 September 2017
Roy Hodgson hopes Mamadou Sakho can become a talismanic figure in Crystal Palace’s bid to climb the Premier League table.The Eagles could set a new record for the longest start to a season without a goal in top-flight history at high-flying Manchester City on Saturday.New Palace boss Hodgson will be banking on Christian Benteke to end his six-game league goal drought – but also tipped former Liverpool centre-back Sakho to shore up his side’s defensive effort.Roy Hodgson hopes Mamadou Sakho can become key in Crystal Palace’s bid to climb the tableNew Palace boss Hodgson tipped centre-back Sakho to shore up his side’s defensive effortThe Eagles could set a new record for the longest start to a season without a goal at Man CitySakho will make his first Premier League start since his permanent Palace switch, with Hodgson hailing the 27-year-old’s Selhurst Park impact.’I heard so many good things about him, and had seen him play for Liverpool and Palace last year, but I can understand why he’s made himself a bit of a favourite with the fans,’ said Hodgson.’The centre of defence has been reasonably strong, but he does strengthen that area of our team. We hope, with his quality and his leadership qualities, he helps us move away from the relegation zone. He is match fit. He will start.’Palace remain goalless and pointless after their five opening league clashes, but at least managed to claim a Carabao Cup victory over …read more

14

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has praised Anthony Martial United boss has been impressed by his appearances off the substitutes’ benchMartial has scored four goals in all competitions for United so far this season Mourinho refused to pass comment on the Romelu Lukaku chant from fans By

Jack Gaughan for MailOnlinePublished:
08:58 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:54 EDT, 22 September 2017
Anthony Martial’s mentality has transformed in a matter of months, according to Jose Mourinho.The Manchester United winger endured a frustrating season last year, constantly rebuked by his manager for a perceived lack of willpower.Martial – who has four goals already this term – has impressed off the bench and Mourinho believes his attitude has changed.Anthony Martial has scored four goals so far this season for Manchester UnitedJose Mourinho has heaped praise on the former Monaco forward after a good start to the term’I see a great improvement in the person, in the mood, in the face, in the body language – if you want just a word, in the happiness,’ the United boss said.’He’s a happy guy, he’s working extremly well. He starts matches, he tries to do well.’He goes from the bench, even it is for 10 minutes like in the last match at home, he tries to enjoy and try to give something in these extra minutes.Mourinho is delighted with how Martial has applied himself despite a shortage of starts Romelu Lukaku has made a fine start at United but it has led to a lewd chant on the terraces’I am very pleased with his attitude overall and then it’s easier to play well.’Mourinho would not be drawn on the lewd fan chant about striker Romelu Lukaku, which has sparked controversy after being labelled racist by Kick It Out.’Don’t ask me these questions,’ he added. …read more

17

Pep Guardiola agrees with Jose Mourinho that the League Cup is a distractionMourinho has questioned impact on clubs despite lifting the trophy four timesGuardiola shared rival’s view after seeing City progress to the fourth roundBy

Chris Wheeler for MailOnlinePublished:
09:33 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:56 EDT, 22 September 2017
Pep Guardiola agrees with Jose Mourinho that the League Cup has become an unwanted distraction, admitting that the Premier League’s top teams ‘waste a lot of energy’ on the competition.Mourinho has questioned the impact that it has on clubs playing in Europe despite lifting the trophy for a fourth time in English football with Manchester United last season.Guardiola shared his rival’s view after seeing Manchester City progress to the fourth round of the Carabao Cup at West Bromwich Albion in midweek ahead of their Premier League fixtures against Crystal Palace and Chelsea, and the Champions League tie with Shakhtar Donetsk.Pep Guardiola agrees with Jose Mourinho that the League Cup is an unwanted distractionGuardiola shared his rival’s view after seeing City progress to the fourth round at West BromAsked if his view was similar to Mourinho’s, Guardiola said: ‘Quite similar. So business is business. We have a lot of games. If you have to play in a competition you have to play in it. It’s good for the people you don’t use a lot.’It’s a title and if you win it’s okay, but after that people don’t give you much credit. You don’t go to international competitions.‘You waste a lot of energy. You can imagine going against a Tony Pulis team like West Brom and playing 90 minutes in those conditions. Mourinho has questioned the impact on clubs despite lifting the trophy four times in England’Three or four hours by bus, come back and then three days later Crystal Palace, …read more

21

Rory McIlroy thinks the PGA Tour should merge with the European TourThe Northern Irishman believes it is counter-productive for them to compete He thinks it would make sense for the PGA Tour to buy out the European Tour By

Shrivathsa Sridhar, ReutersPublished:
07:30 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:36 EDT, 22 September 2017
Four-times major winner :Let’s block ads! (Why?) …read more

11

Wilfried Zaha thinks axed Crystal Palace boss Frank de Boer needed more timeThe Dutchman was sacked just five games into his tenure at the clubZaha gave his opinion on the matter at the launch of FIFA 18 in London The winger is out with a leg injury he picked up in the first game of the seasonBy

Danny Gallagher For MailonlinePublished:
06:42 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:09 EDT, 22 September 2017
Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha believes former manager Frank de Boer should have been given more time in his role at Selhurst Park.The Dutch manager was axed just five games into his tenure with the south London club, following a dismal run of early season form. De Boer had spoken on several occasions about how he was trying to overhaul the way the team played – transitioning out of the more traditional football as played under previous manager Sam Allardyce in favour of the fluid Dutch style he became famous for at Ajax.Scroll down for video Speaking at the launch of FIFA 18, Wilfried Zaha said Frank de Boer deserved more timeThe mercurial winger admitted that losing matches naturally results in sackingsBut Palace struggled to adapt and results failed to materialise, causing De Boer to pay the ultimate price.Former England boss Roy Hodgson has since been installed at the helm, though star man Zaha believes De Boer was unfortunate not to be given longer.’I slightly think he should’ve got a bit more time because it’s not easy to transition from how we used to play to the way we play now,’ Zaha said during the official launch of FIFA 18.’But football’s ruthless and if you’re not getting the results you get fired.’So it’s a thing where you just have to accept it,’ Zaha added.De Boer was axed …read more

14

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe confirms Tyrone Mings could be out for a monthMings was nursing a minor back injury but it is worse than the club first thoughtThe Cherries are set to face Everton in the Premier League on Saturday Howe is wary of Everton’s forward line despite the Toffees struggling for goalsBy

Ed Elliott, Press Association SportPublished:
06:33 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:37 EDT, 22 September 2017
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe confirmed Tyrone Mings will be out for up to a month as his side prepare to face Everton at the weekend.The defender, who joined the Cherries from Ipswich in 2015, missed his sides Carabao Cup tie in midweek with a minor back concern but it appears the problem is more substantial.’Tyrone Mings will miss out this weekend,’ Howe told reporters ahead of his side’s trip to Everton.Defender Tyrone Mings could be out of action for up to a month with a back problemHe added: ‘Unfortunately, Tyrone has got a back problem. We thought it would be manageable with treatment, unfortunately he’ll be out for a period of time.’He’ll see a specialist and it has been recommended that he has a month’s rest on the sidelines.’It will be interesting to see how that rest affects his back, he has pain in one area so hopefully the rest should cure it. With the international break, he could miss three or four games maximum.”Apart from Tyrone we’re ok, Junior came through the game on Tuesday ok which is a big boost. We don’t have any other injury problems.’ Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is wary of Everton’s attack despite them losing Romelu LukakuThe Bournemouth boss also insists Everton have lost none of their attacking threat, despite the summer departure of top scorer Romelu Lukaku.Belgium striker Lukaku hit 25 Premier League …read more

13

Chelsea and Diego Costa are finally set to part ways as the striker moves onCosta’s colourful time at Chelsea was ever filled with highs and lowsFans will always remember the livewire fondly thanks to what he achievedOn his day Costa was unplayable and Chelsea will struggle to replicate his style By

Charlie Skillen for MailOnlinePublished:
08:03 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
09:03 EDT, 22 September 2017
It’s been one of the finest sights in football for the last few years: a snarling, ferocious beast, elbowing defenders out of the way, slamming the ball past a helpless keeper and running off celebrating with the same fury that got him there.I’ll miss Diego Costa.Let’s get this out the way – he had to go. The situation has been handled horribly by club, player and seemingly manager, and his inevitable transfer to Atletico Madrid is the only logical conclusion.Diego Costa didn’t take long to make an impression at Chelsea and became an instant hitThe Brazilian always played with passion and would do whatever it took to secure victoryHowever, it feels as if the summer-long spurned-lovers saga has clouded what a force he was for Chelsea.His goals have won two of the last three Premier League titles – his aggression, pace, power and ruthlessness combining to make arguably the most feared attacking outlet in the division.It’s true, his form could be patchy. He could go missing, hands on hips, link-up play awry, an even bigger scowl on a face that carries a permanent one.But if he was ‘on one’? Forget it.His turbulent relationship with Antonio Conte ultimately spelled the end of his Chelsea careerDuring his time in the Premier League Costa was never far away from moments of controversyWe first got a taste of Costa ‘on one’ just three games into his Chelsea …read more

11

Rangers and Celtic meet for the first time this season on Saturday lunchtime Sheffield United play Sheffield Wednesday for first time since 2012 on SundayJuventus are looking for their 100th win ever against city rivals Torino in Serie AMK Dons and Wimbledon renew their antagonism in Friday night fixtureWeekend action also includes Tottenham Hotspur against West Ham United BETTING GUIDE: It’s 13/8 that Rangers vs Celtic is the dirtiest derby By

Matthew Smith For MailonlinePublished:
06:25 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
08:52 EDT, 22 September 2017
As the 2017-18 football season starts to properly get into gear, so do the club rivalries which add an extra hint of spice to every division of the game.Gloating over superior league position begins to gain a bit of extra weight, the opposition squad is confirmed until January and ready to be slated, before the two sides finally go head to head.This weekend, across England and Europe there are five very notable derbies taking place, some geographical, some historical, some a bit of both. The Old Firm match between Rangers and Celtic is one of several major derbies this weekendRangers vs CelticHow serious is the rivalry?Talk about starting with a silly question. Rangers vs Celtic is one of the deadliest in world football – two sides from Glasgow who for so long shared supremacy at the top of the table, with the spectre of sectarianism usually adding a nasty edge to the proceedings. Some Celtic fans feel the rivalry has lost its edge since Rangers’ liquidation in 2012 – but they won’t be impressed if they lose.Recent resultsLast season saw Rangers return to the top flight after a four-year absence, and they were greeted with 5-1 defeats home and away against their neighbours. In total, Rangers picked up one point from four …read more

21

Paul Clement insists Wilfried Bony did not return to Swansea as a bit part player The Ivory Coast star sealed a return in summer after leaving Manchester City He has figured only three times for the Swans since his £12million switch By

Press Association ReporterPublished:
06:06 EDT, 22 September 2017

| Updated:
08:37 EDT, 22 September 2017
Paul Clement has insisted striker Wilfried Bony did not return to :Let’s block ads! (Why?) …read more

RANDOM POSTS

13
Few people showed up at Apple stores in China when the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus arrived, forcing staff to remove crowd control barricades. ...